Saturday, June 6, 2009

Just A Little Hole

Get this, did you know people don't sew holes in their socks? They just throw them away. I mean I can't even wrap by head around it. I have polled just about every one I have thought to ask in the last month and not a single person sews holes in their socks. (Okay maybe one agreed with me but this happens to be the same person that thinks it is okay to buy mattresses and couches at Goodwill so his hygenie ethics and level of thrift automatically disquailfiy him as a reliable source, not to even mention the other problems he has) In fact, not only do people not sew holes in their socks, they think I'm weird for doing it. Me? The weird one? No. It is natural to sew/darn socks. I mean for example, I just got this great pair of socks for Christmas and after only wearing them a few times I got a hole in them. I didn't have the right color of thread to fix them so I just used pink to spice it up. When my friends saw this at a recent gathering they went through the roof with how ridiculous it was that I didn't just throw them away. Throw them away? They are brand new. Their arguement was it only costs a buck or so and if it has a hole you have gotten your wear out of it and it is time to replace. No, no, no. If it has a little hole, it means that one tiny bit of a whole sock is worn but that doesn't mean it has lost its value. And a buck is a buck and sewing a hole costs nothing. It is just a little hole. They arguers were even less supportive when I declared that I probably haven't bought a pair of socks in at least 4 years. Although I have received enough as gifts to replace the few I could not salvage. It isn't like I'm boasting with my thrift becaus this isn't thrift - this is natural, every day behavior. Who doesn's sew holes in their socks? I mean really people, throw them away? It is just a little hole. Please somebody out there agree with me.

5 comments:

Bakeshow said...

Oh I agree... although I never actually get around to darning my socks. I do however have a huge drawer full of holey socks that I can't bear to part with.

Kayce said...

I can't sew. At all.

Jessie Lewis said...

I would like to just comment and say, when i was interviewed, I replied that I did not throw them away. I either A. Kept wearing them with the hole moved away from my toe or B. Give them to goodwill. I'm going to add a C. Make a puppet for Maddie.

Becky said...

You are seriously one of the funniest people I know!
What a gal! Sewing your socks! He he.

LauriAnn said...

Hey. I have been wondering about you lately. And now here you are. Mystery solved.